Monday 30 January 2012

Tai Chi and other Philosophies

Tai chi teaches that physical action should only be used as a final resort. Somehow I wonder if life uses this motto, or if there is a cosmic being out there that just likes to give unsuspecting individuals a sucker punch to the gut just to remind them that the cosmic plan is not always what they think it is. Mind, that same said being would also be the one that gives us all the blessings and unexpected joy that we experience, too.

While many have different philosophical and religious beliefs to me, I am grateful for my Christian upbringing for creating in me an ability to look beyond the immediate and see opportunities, even when wallowing in, what can be, the trauma of the present. Sure, life can send some sucker punches down, but in doing so it strengthens my resilience and ability (although this can often take a while) to learn from events. As the saying goes "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger." To the best of my knowledge, I'm not the walking dead, but I can sure handle situations that even I don't expect to be exposed to.

As those of you who know me better than others, some will also know that I accept death as part of the cycle of life - one of those less desirable parts, but an essential that must be dealt with tact, patience and acceptance. After all, I don't think our world could cope with an immortal and ever increasing population, nor do I think that the world could handle an immortal version of me.

So, every now and then, I am reminded that I am not the script writer in the play of life, just one of the minions ad libbing as required, so that I don't completely lose my part.

The Serenity prayer (God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. ~ Reinhold Niebuhr) is in some ways cliched, but eternally true. Whatever your belief system may be, I wish you the strength to be able to maintain it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment